This programming language may be used to instruct a computer to perform a task.
|Execution method:||Compiled (bytecode)|
|Parameter passing methods:||By value|
If you know Icon, please write code for some of the tasks not implemented in Icon.
Icon is a descendant of SNOBOL4 incorporating similar excellent string processing capabilities, built-in hash tables, success/failure based controls, dynamic storage, automatic type casting and coercion of values. Icon added more conventional procedural syntax, generator expressions, goal-directed evaluation that automatically searches for successful results. String scanning and matching superseded the pattern matching functionality of SNOBOL4.
Several extensions of Icon were developed to improve functionality. Many of these were unified with Unicon
 See Also
- Wikipedia: Icon
- Icon homepage
- Wikipedia: Unicon
- Book: The Icon Programming Language, 3rd Edition
- Book: Graphics Programming in Icon
- Book: Icon Programming for Humanists
- Presentation: Fundamentals of Icon Programming
- Archived issues of the Icon Newsletter from 1979-2000 discussing Icon programming
- Archived issues of the Icon Analysts from 1990-2001 discussing advanced Icon programming
- The Icon Programming Library and index
 Wiki Links
- An introduction to Icon and Unicon for Rosetta Code
- Unimplementable tasks
- Tasks requiring attention
- Tasks not yet implemented
- The Icon Programming Library
This category has the following 3 subcategories, out of 3 total.
Pages in category "Icon"
The following 434 pages are in this category, out of 434 total.