Talk:Jewels and stones
From Rosetta Code
The task could do with a description on RC. If you don't have permission, please don't just copy another sites description.
- Indeed. Jewels and Stones is not very descriptive of what the task is doing and could be a copyrighted term. A better, more generic name would be something like: Count occurrences of a substring. If only we had such a task... --Thundergnat (talk) 12:53, 25 April 2018 (UTC)
- Sorry. I was trying to be funny but that doesn't come across very well in text. :-( My point was we already have pretty much exactly this task with a more generic name: Count occurrences of a substring My vote on this task is to merge and delete. (Perhaps with a redirect.)
- It seems to me that there's a subtle difference between the two. The existing task was counting how many times B (of arbitrary length) was contained in A. The new one is counting how many characters (or if you like sub-strings of length 1) within B are contained in A.
- Great description - it is different. As for the title, I googled it and Leetcode and codechef use it, but could not find many more, so one of those sites may have coined it. Could we maybe change the task title to "Jewels in stones" or "Jewels amongst stones" maybe? I am not good at this copyright thing. - --Paddy3118 (talk) 21:18, 14 May 2018 (UTC)
what is a letter?
We've been here before, ...
What is a letter?
English (Roman or Latin)? Greek? α ß Γ π Σ σ µ τ Φ Θ Ω δ
- Thanks Gerard; I googled and found this to help me with the nuances. --Paddy3118 (talk) 21:28, 14 May 2018 (UTC)