Talk:Create a file
Hi. maybe a better name of this page would be : Create a text file ? --Adam majewski (talk) 06:00, 18 May 2013 (UTC)
- that's probably overspecifying the name. And, if we want it to be completely accurate, it probably would be something like "create an empty text file and a directory in two locations, assuming you have permission to do so". --Rdm (talk) 13:02, 18 May 2013 (UTC)
Just thought I'd check here about SmileBASIC. SB is for the 3DS, and only has a virtual filesystem, without a real concept of folders. So while it would be possible to create a file, the full task description cannot be fulfilled. Is it better to submit a half solution or to omit? soxfox42 (talk) 06:42, 11 February 2019 (UTC)
- That's really your call. (But it's good to call out known issues in the task implementation.)
- Generally speaking, the most interesting stuff (at least for non-programmers) involves ties to "real world" mechanisms. And these are invariably platform specific. These tasks tend to look simplest in languages which specifically target a platform which matches the task assumptions. More portable languages tend to struggle (multiple implementations? cross platform portability? just ignore the task?), and languages targeting conflicting platforms tend to also struggle (approximate? weasel? ignore?).
- It's a tough issue (along with drifting interfaces, deprecation, version changes and debugging), so we just do the best we can. --Rdm (talk) 17:18, 11 February 2019 (UTC)
- Ok, I decided it's best to omit SmileBASIC from most filesystem tasks, as the tasks have very little meaning in SB context. It's more interesting to demonstrate the use of data stored in files than to create poor approximations of classical filesystem access. soxfox42 (talk) 00:26, 12 February 2019 (UTC)