Rosetta Code:Village Pump/Commas
For the sake of (eg) http://www.timb.net/popular-languages.html could we remove the comma formatting on the counts of entries?
That is, instead of "The following 1,026 pages are in this category" make it "The following 1026 pages are in this category". --Pete Lomax (talk) 12:53, 14 June 2019 (UTC)
- It seems computer generated. Surely the generator can be updated to parse this? --Paddy3118 (talk) 13:35, 14 June 2019 (UTC)
- It probably would be a trivial change, but the author is not responding (6 months +), so it might be easier to change it this side. --Pete Lomax (talk)
- ... So, we're thinking of removing commas to make it easier for some programs to handle commatized numbers, and at the same time, make it a bit harder to read, and also change the generating program to not use commas in numbers? Commas shouldn't be that difficult of an obstacle. As my niece says, "it is what it is". If there are commas in the numbers in the input, deal with it. In the real world, programmers deal with the data, and not change the input to deal with the program (not to mention changing the generating program). -- Gerard Schildberger (talk) 06:15, 15 June 2019 (UTC)
- ... And sometimes we relax our high and mighty principles and take the much easier route... (no offence meant) --12:53, 15 June 2019 (UTC)
- Reminds me of a issue we had at work... a program prompted the user whether to continue after a configurable number of records (default 5000) trouble was, in Italy it prompted the user every 5 records... serves us right for storing the number with commas and parsing it with a locale-aware routine (5,000 is of course 5.000 in Italy). Just saying... Tigerofdarkness (talk) 13:39, 15 June 2019 (UTC)