Rosetta Code:Village Pump/Admin assistance request
This is a particular discussion thread among many which consider Rosetta Code.
Admins' request for assistance.
Short Circuit and his active bureaucrats are starting to get strained (we actually have other things to do besides keeping RC running smoothly). We wanted to know if anyone on the site would be interested in taking over some admin-ish roles to help lighten the load. Post here if you are interested in doing a little extra work around here. We will have a list of jobs posted here soon (hopefully by the end of the week) and anyone who wants one or more of the roles (and has time for them) can claim them here. Post any questions or suggestions for jobs that no one does yet here also. --Mwn3d 15:19, 8 December 2008 (UTC)
- I will be glad to help (except during exam time). Rahul 10:35, 9 December 2008 (UTC)
- Hell, I'm still straining to find a Y :-) --Paddy3118 21:53, 9 December 2008 (UTC)
- I'll help, for sure, provided my nose isn't being groundstoned by school, which it is ATM. I'll take the double redirect bot or the programming example count bot, not sure which yet.. BR 23:52, 11 December 2009 (UTC)
Here it is folks. The bot tasks are sort of one person jobs so if you'd like to claim one of those just cross it off (add <s> tags) and add your signature. For the other jobs just say what you'll do underneath the list and sign.
(but we could still use help):
- Watch for page creations and example additions and make sure everything has been done correctly (category links, templates, spam removal, etc.)
- Keep the solutions by task page organized, create new categories as needed
- Watch the Village Pump/talk pages for feature/page requests, arguments, or confusion and correct as necessary
- Rosetta wiki theme fixes
- It needs work to be IE compatible. Other than that, it's ready to be default.
- Scrapped. MediaWiki upgrades will occasionally break any MonoBook-derived theme. Word from developers is that that won't change.
Would be nice
- Bot Commander (maybe Bot Master?), try to figure out how bots could be created and what they could do for us
- IRC logging bot (logs to the server, preferably on a wiki page)
- Requirements have changed slightly. While any persistent logger would be desired, writes to a MySQL database would be more ideal. (Text and time/date searches would be the goal.) If it's run on Rosetta Code's linode server, it will need to have a very consistent, low memory footprint.
- Double redirect bot (not a very prominent problem)
- Programming example count bot (count # of uses of the "header" template), total and possibly per language
- See Rosetta_Code:Add a Language. Notice the several manual steps that should be automated.
- Site stats bot keeping track of things from the stats page and maybe making some Google charts out of it (this isn't particularly tedious for a human and Mwn3d will be doing this manually in monthly blog posts, but a bot would make it even easier)
- See Mwn3d or Short Circuit for a copy of the monthly CSVs.
- Help with GeSHi
- If there is a language that's not supported by GeSHi, and you're familiar with the language, see AutoGeSHi to generate a language file. Then email it to Michael Mol to have it tested, included, and added to GeSHi.